One of the most important factors when it comes to surgery is the recovery process. In fact, your plastic surgery aftercare can very likely make or break your ideal results. While the severity and length of recovery is different for everyone, there are guidelines, “hacks”, and tips that can help you recover smoothly and with as little discomfort as possible. This is especially true when it comes to the Brazilian Butt Lift.
The fat transfer to the buttocks, otherwise known as the Brazilian Butt Lift, or BBL, is a two-part body contouring procedure that includes liposuction and fat cell transfer to the butt. It defines and repositions the outer thighs and buttocks so they appear more rounded and shapelier.
BBL recovery time can vary, but generally, you should plan for at least two weeks of down time and rest, during which it’s important to avoid sitting on your buttocks in order to minimize compression and help your newly transferred fat cells to develop their needed blood supply. Easier said than done—which is why our BBL Pillow transfers the pressure that would normally be on your bum by placing it under your thighs.
There can be pain associated with any surgery, so you can expect to be a bit sore for at least the first few days after a BBL. You should also expect some swelling and bruising, which are common side effects when healing after a BBL that may last for up to one month.
BBL Recovery Tips:
- Drink up. Staying hydrated will help your body recover the fluids lost from surgery. Things like water, Gatorade Pedialyte and soup are great choices.
- No sitting around. After your BBL, it’s important to not sit on your buttocks for at least two weeks in order to minimize compression and help those new little fat cells to develop blood supply. If you can’t avoid a seated position, make sure to alternate sides and use your BBL pillow
- Swelling is, of course, very normal. Also very normal: swelling that extends downwards in your genital area and into your legs. Even more normal: swelling that lasts three to six months
- Starting the day of your surgery, and for the first two weeks of your recovery, it’s important that you do some light waking. Aim for three times a day, every day—but keep it under a mile. This will help to prevent deadly blood clots, in addition to the compression socks you’re likely wearing (and should keep wearing for about three days)
- Be your healthiest self. Things like meditation to lower stress, avoiding smoking for at least six weeks and avoiding any alcohol for at least two weeks will all help aid in your BBL recovery process
- Things may appear bigger at first. Remember that you can expect to lose anywhere from 20%-50% of the fat transferred, so your doctor will transfer more to compensate
- Don’t smoke for at least six weeks before and after surgery
- Do avoid alcohol for at least two weeks
To ensure you have the best possible outcome, Dr. Barrett has some supplement must-haves he recommends for all his patients. Barrett Recovery CBD, and is a game-changer for pain management, anxiety and sleep. Magnesium Breakthrough is also essential to control the muscle spasms that may occur as you recover from your BBL. It can also help with constipation and sleep. Arnica Recovery Complex contains both arnica and bromelain, and is an effective, holistic way to decrease the inflammation after surgery that occurs in your body without causing a leaky gut that can happen with traditional anti-inflammatories like ibuprofen or aspirin. Formulated to provide the optimal level of nutrient support, for enhanced recovery after surgery, Healfast Post-Op gives your body the necessary nutrients to heal and helps you detox from anesthesia, in addition to also reducing swelling, bruising and inflammation, and aiding in pain control. MassZymes, a digestive enzyme supplement, breaks down the debris created from the wound healing process, improves tissue remodeling and actually reduces the lab markers of inflammation, making it one of the best supplements for healing after surgery. Finally, starting at two weeks post-op, you should start using scar gel. Skinuva® is surgical scar healing cream that’s backed by science and uses highly selective growth factors which are shown to be twice as effective as silicone cream. What you don’t need are compression garments. If you feel more physically comfortable wearing them, great, but they won’t impact your final results. So feel free to take them off if they’re giving you a rash or causing you any discomfort, blistering.
Dr. Barrett has also curated an BBL Recovery Optimization Kit to set his BBL patients up for surgical success with the least amount of down time and discomfort possible.
Do you want to learn more about Barrett Plastic Surgery? Keep up to date by subscribing to our blog and following us on social media at Twitter, TikTok, Instagram, Realself, YouTube, Snapchat, Yelp, and Facebook for updates.
Thank you for visiting!